Thursday, July 25, 2013

Fair Style Mini Corn Dogs

Due to my illness I haven't been able to cook, post or pretty much move for the last week, so PLEASE forgive the delay in getting posts on this blog this week. I'm on the mend but still have minimal energy compared to my usual self which doesn't matter when the kids are hungry. After living off previously frozen meals and canned food for the last week, they're ready to see me back in the kitchen. 

It's not easy being a single parent, especially when you're sick, but I must say the girls were amazing throughout this whole thing. I wanted to make them something we don't have very often and consider a treat, yet something quick and easy so I don't drain what limited energy supply I do have right now. I'm trying to break away from the food-as-a-reward camp but I think I can make an exception this time as a "thank you" for their roll in getting me back on the mend.

Like any hot blooded american, we LOVE fair food, every deep fried bit of it; especially CORN DOGS. Unfortunately, because of their deep fried status, we limit our consumption of these crispy goodies to when we're actually at the fair (go figure). I've been experimenting with several recipes & ingredients and think I've finally come up with the perfect blend of sweet corn breading and the best hot dog. I have toddlers so I'm making these as mini corn dog nuggets (without the stick), but I can't see any reason this wouldn't work for a full blown dog on a stick if you would prefer.



INGREDIENTS:

1 package Beef Franks (we LOVE Hebrew National)
21 Popsicle Sticks
1 C yellow corn meal
1 C white flour
1/4 C sugar (not shown in photo)
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
a dash of pepper
a dash of cayenne pepper (not shown in photo)
1 C cold milk
2 Tbsp honey
1 egg
1 - 48 fl oz vegetable oil (for frying)


First cut the franks into threes. Then dry the natural juices off with a paper towel so corn bread mixture will stick to frank during frying process. Place a Popsicle stick through the end of each piece until firmly secure but not so far that the stick shows through the other end. (see photo below)



Mix all other ingredients (except oil) together in bowl to make cornbread mixture. This is easy to do by hand so no need for an actual mixer.


Pour oil into med sauce pan and heat to 350 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer you can tell when the oil is ready by putting a couple small drops of water into the oil before it's hot, when the oil heats up to the point it pops where the water is, then it's ready. 

When oil is at the right temp, carefully insert the dipped frank into the oil, submerging it to the point where the Popsicle stick is inserted. Roll/turn corn dog in oil until evenly browned; place on paper towel covered plate to drain. 


Carefully remove Popsicle sticks and serve with your favorite dipping sauces.

This recipe makes 21 mini dogs if you use the Hebrew National franks. These were a HUGE hit at our table.  Having two young children that don't have very large tummies, we had quite a bit left over so we decided to share with our neighbor boys, ages 8 & 10, and it was a big hit for them too. Their mom didn't waste any time asking for the recipe. 

Thanks for joining us! -- Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment