Saturday, July 20, 2013

Hearty Lentil Kale Soup

I have to say it's hard for me to justify eating hot soup when it's over 100 degrees outside. Don't ask me why, but for some reason soup is cemented in my mind as only a cold weather dish. But with a persistent cough, stuffy head and a runaway voice, hot nutrient rich soup is exactly what my body's screaming for right now. 

I had the ingredients on hand to make a super easy flavorful lentil & kale soup. The easier the better right now because when my voice ran away it apparently took my energy with it. Another reason I like this recipe is the ingredients are items I usually have on hand. I had also purchased some gorgeous kale, carrots & onions on my last visit to the local Farmer's Market that need to be used up. 


INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp light olive oil
1 C (approx 3 med-size) carrots, peeled & sliced
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 C (approx 2 lg stalks) celery, chopped
1 pound extra lean ground beef
2 Tbsp minced garlic OR 3-4 lg fresh garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp Johnny's Seasoned Salt
1 carton (32 fl oz) beef stock, plus one carton water
1 bag (16 oz) lentils, thoroughly rinsed
1/2 sprig fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried Rosemary)
1 sprig fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes)
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes in juice or one large (29 oz) can
2 C chopped fresh green curly leaf kale
(can add additional cup of chopped kale if desired, it looks like a lot but will cook down)
Shredded Parmesan to garnish


Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, onions and celery; saute until onions are turning transparent. Add ground beef, garlic cloves and Johnny's Seasoned Salt, cook until meat is browned. I use a very lean meat so there isn't usually any need to drain, but if using meat with a higher fat content, drain and set aside.


While meat & vegetable mixture is browning; place large soup pot over med/ high heat, pour beef stock into pot plus one additional stock container of water. Add rinsed lentils, thyme, rosemary & parsley. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.
NOTE: Don't add salt to lentils while cooking because they will become tough.


Reduce heat to medium, maintaining a low boil. Add meat mixture, and canned diced tomatoes. Continue at a low boil for an additional 10 minutes.


Mix in chopped kale. Continue to boil for approx 3 minutes or until kale is wilted.


I made a large pot so I can set half aside and freeze for another day when I'm in need of a back up meal. This recipe should serve 10-12.


Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese over soup before serving.

ENJOY! -- Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment